- The IRS needs to know exactly who's filing and who is covered in your tax return. To do this, you will need Social Security numbers and dates of birth for you, your spouse and dependents for the current filing year. Any new dependents?
- A copy of the front of the taxpayer(s) drivers licenses (and back as well if New York State).
OTHER CRITICAL INFORMATION:
- Direct deposit information—routing and account numbers, bank name (if you wish to direct debit/deposit amounts payable/due to you).
- The total separate amounts of all stimulus money received (if none, please indicate zero. An inaccurate accounting my lead to delayed refunds or IRS notices)
- The total amount of Advanced Child Care Credit received throughout the year. The IRS letter summarizing the amounts received would be helpful.
- Indicate if owner of foreign bank account, provide information—location, name of bank, account number, max value of account during the year
- Indicate if you bought/sold or received as compensation any cryptocurrencies.
- List the total amount of charitable contributions
- List any estimated tax payments made. This would be vouchers mailed or online payments made to the IRS or state.
COMMON SOURCES OF INCOME:
- 1099-NEC if you are self-employed and received $600 or greater from a client. If you are self-meplyed, please see additional items needed here: Self-employed
- 1099-DIV if you received dividends
- 1099-INT if you received interest
- 1099-G if you received money or benefits from the government
- 1099-K if you made third-party credit card transactions
- 1099-R for distributions from a retirement plan, IRA, pension, annuity, etc.
- SA-1099 for social security benefits
- K-1s for any ownership in passthrough entities
- A listing of rental income and expenses
COMMON DEDUCTIONS AND MORE:
- Form 1098
- Other mortgage interest statement
- Real estate tax (if not escrowed through mortgage)
- Other personal property taxes
- Qualified energy efficiency installations (solar panels, water heaters etc…)
- Any other 1098 form
- Totaled amount of cash and checks (no other detail needed, just the single number total)
- Receipts for non-cash contributions (i.e. clothing, household goods)
- Miles driven for charitable purposes
- Amounts paid for doctors, dentists, eyeglasses, hearing aids, prescription medicine
- Amounts paid for health insurance
- Amounts paid for long-term care insurance
- Form 1095-A if a participant of Marketplace health insurance exchange
- Expenses paid for the care of a child under 13
- Please provide:
- Name of provider
- Tax ID# of provider
- Amount paid to provider for each child
- Address of provider
- Form 1098-T for tuition
- 529 Plan contributions
- Any other education plan contributions
- Form 5498-SA for HSA contributions
- Form 5498-SA for IRA contributions
- All other 5498 series forms (5498-QA, 5498-ESA)
- Specify if any non deductible IRA contributions or Roth conversion were made